View Single Post
Old 01-13-22, 08:25 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2738 Post(s)
Liked 970 Times in 793 Posts
[QUOTE=Kurtenstein;22362649]Hi! I'm new to winter cycling and would like some advice on tire selection. My father-in-law recently gave me is (rather well-maintained) Specialized Crossroads. It's fitted with a front suspension (I'd like to get rid of that someday) and a suspended seatpost (I'd like to get rid of that too!). I first intended to sell the bike but I now consider using it as a winter bike, for quick rides in the neighbourhood to keep in shape in between nordic skiing outings.

It's currently fitted with Specialized Infinity 700X38s. I tried them in snow over ice (I live in Montreal, where we have real winters!) and was pleasantly surprised to see how fun it is to ride in the conditions. I'd like to switch to dedicated winter tires and was eyeing the Schwalbe K-Guard HS 396. I see they come in 30, 35 and 40mm width. I was planning on buying the 40mm, but I wonder if these aren't a bit too wide. Is there a more "common" size for winter biking in snow and on ice?

(I apologize if this question has been asked 153 387 times before ...)

Thanks!
[Q/QUOTE]

so fellow Montrealer dude or dudette, did you look at tire prices and options?
some studded tires have more studs than others. Mine have two rows of studs, other tires have twice that, but I've found the basic schwalbe winters to work very well.
I'm sure you've found a bit of sticker shock at prices....

Oh, and yes front suspension helps by giving better traction for front tire, keeping better tire/ surface constant contact. Kinda like skiing, using your legs as suspension to maintain good ski/snow contact.