View Single Post
Old 03-12-23, 06:17 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 759 Times in 563 Posts
Originally Posted by sean.hwy
He was 65 lbs at 24 weeks old. 85lbs at 7 months old. I guess we will be closer to 100 lbs when he is full grown.

Since he is more of glod/bruiser dog instead of light and fast on his feet like doberman/border collie do you think maybe not ride the MTB with him and just keep it to hiking?

I am never going to be fast on my mtb like these guys in the videos but every MTB dog video I see it's always a fast little fkr never a big great pyrenees.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hk5qRJvTJcI&t=351s
It always is best to keep your best friend in their comfort zone. The problem is that they will turn themselves inside out to please you, so be careful to not misread them. It is a lot easier to do that when you are on foot than on a bike IMO, so I mostly ran or hiked with my pups and only took them along on a ride once in a while.

My dogs were crazy fast when young and would happly run as far as I wanted to (my long runs were 18-20 miles, but I was always slow). So they would tear around and have some fun chasing doing more miles than I did. As they got older they became a bit more workman like in their running. They still had fun, but looking out for me was a job and they took it more seriously.

With flatter terrain there is more chance that you on the bike and your dog might have compatible paces. The length of the downhills is a factor as well. Also it helps if you either are slow or are willing to ride at a casual pace when the dog is along.

Also some will let you know when they aren't feeling great and will take a day off. Others will hide their pain and do anything to keep from being left behind. You really have to look out for the latter ones. Some will literally run themselves to death if you ask them to do too much. Whatever you do always be mindful of your pups best interests. Oh btw that becomes especially true in warm or hot weather. Make sure they have water, are acclimated to local conditions, run in cooler hours if possible, and so on.
Likes For staehpj1: