Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3894 Post(s)
Liked 1,943 Times in 1,388 Posts
Originally Posted by mschwett
4 more hard-ish rides and my balance is holding at 45/55. i can definitely “target” the left leg and bring the power up to 50/50 by being very conscious of it, but after 10-15 seconds i go back to just enjoying the ride/effort and it reverts to 45/55.

i’ll have to try and work some exercises or one legged training in. but i only ride outside so that’ll be a bit of an effort!
One-legged pedaling outside isn't so bad. Done it many times. You have to have a way to prop the lazy foot in the frame triangle, convenient bottle cage, something relatively secure. It has to be done on a gently climbing gradient, like 2%. It's a lot easier to do at a slower cadence, like 60-70.. The object of the game, just like in any strength training, is to do it until failure. In this case, failure is defined as having a slack chain at any point in the pedal circle. Two minutes until failure is about right, so pick a gear with that in mind. But don't let that 2' intimidate you. Being only able to do it for 1' is pretty common.