Old 01-04-21, 10:57 AM
sdodd

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 24 Posts
Built a rack to fit Tandem into our 2012 Odyssey - no front wheel removal

For anybody interested, I did some measurements and decided I could fit our 1997 DaVinci Tandem into our 2012 Odyssey by taking out the center middle row seat and building a rack to hold the rear wheel. I'm a person of simplicity so if the bike is in one piece I am more likely to haul/ride it than if I have to take on/off pieces... even if it is just the front wheel. So this rack is designed to swallow the tandem whole - with fenders and wheels all attached. You lift the rear wheel, roll back the tandem, and the clip catches it and holds in place. It is tight and I get a little breathing room with the 26" wheels and 25mm wide tires. But, a larger tandem would still fit. It takes about 20 seconds to load and unload the bike.

Center console area between middle seats

Base of Rack. Holes drilled and tapped on the vertical pieces so screws can hook under the U shaped steel in the van.

Setting up the rear wheel height. Raising the rear wheel means the stokers drop bars are above the middle seats so they can fully recline.

Tabs for the Yakima tray.

Arm to hold the drive side seat stay. Wanted a way to roll in the bike and have it clip in place.

Painted with fold down cup holders attached.

Front wheel holder. When Testing discovered that the front wheel would move around a bit. In this design the angle iron drops between the rear seat and the rear of the car. The front wheel drops between the square tube.

Bike rolled in.

Believe it or not, the rear hatch closes without touching the wheel or shifters.

Loaded up so nothing is touching the bike.