Old 08-16-21, 11:20 AM
sdodd

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by Philly Tandem
That's pretty cool! I've thought of doing something similar for my 2016 Odyssey but am too lazy :-)

Questions:
1. How does it bolt to the seat mounts (I assume) in the second row? Do you have a photo of that?
2. Doesn't the clamp scratch the seatstay? Surprised you don't use a clamp with a coating or padding of some sort.
3. What are the square box-looking things on the uprights of the rack? Cupholders, maybe? If so, bonus points for that!
1) the rack sits on top of the center console mounts in the van. There is a horizontal bar on top of the two front mounts and a second bar on top of the two rear mounts. I welded little 1/4" thick steel tabs that stick down into the recess in front and behind the van mounts. I then drilled and tapped for a screw that extends under the van mount. (the van mounts are U shaped round stock that sticks up into the van... more like an 'n' shape) Picts below of the tab and screws. The bars keep the rack resting on the van, the tabs keep the rack from moving front to back and side to side (as they just fit into the van recess) and the screws keep the whole rack from lifting up and out. It isn't ideal as it takes about 5 min to get the screws installed, but I usually leave the rack in most of the time anyway.

2) Yes, the clamp has the potential to scratch the seat stay. I put some electrical tape on the seatstay to protect the bike. It isn't really needed as there are no sharp edges on the clamp - they are all rounded. I had a powdercoated version in there at one point instead of just the metal version but it didn't make much difference.

3) the boxes are steel plates with cupholders added. I used 'fisher universal cup holders'. They have a great mechanism for folding and they size well for different size cups. WAAAAAAY better than most of the generic cup holders. $20 each but worth not worry about which kid will break one when. https://www.ultimatecupholders.com/f...cupholder.html Pictures below as well.

Front view of retention bracket

Side view of retention bracket

Cup Holder closed

Cup holder open