Old 04-11-22, 03:46 PM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,124 Times in 746 Posts
Originally Posted by philbob57
A triple with a 24-28 granny gear will get you down to about a 1:1 ratio, which is a true low gear. If your crankset is Campy, you probably need a BB axle that uses the ISO, not JIS, taper.

Crank length is tricky. In theory, a 165 has less leverage than a 170, so that means using more power to get it around, but the circumference of the circle is smaller, so you don't have to move your leg or knee as far, which reduces stress. A longer arm (172.5, 175, etc.) gives more leverage at the expense of a longer circumference. That's theory; I don't know what actual results you'd experience.

You should be able to fit a 10 speed cassette on your wheel and fit the wheel on the bike, but I doubt you can include brake levers/shifters and cassette for $200. You could do it if you used DT shifters in friction mode, though.
8 speed Campy is just 8 speed . The later 9 speed cassette bodies would accept 9 , 10, maybe even 11

However, if he has Veloce brifters, Campagnolo brifters of that era were triple compatible --- so i'd say he just needs a new BB and a triple crankset - and maybe a FDR -- probably get all that for around $100 if sticking with Veloce/ Mirage level stuff

oops -- edited to add he needs a rear derailleur too most likely --- stretch that total to $200

Last edited by DMC707; 04-11-22 at 03:49 PM.