Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2134 Post(s)
Liked 1,643 Times in 825 Posts
Originally Posted by Mtracer
This does sound likely. It’s possible the truck was large enough the cyclist was beside it when it slowed and signaled a a turn and the cyclist had no real opportunity to even see a turn signal, if used.

I think the truck driver likely turned without even considering the possibility that a cyclist would come up on their right side. Even though they almost certainly passed the cyclist moments before.

I’d bet the truck driver will say “I didn’t see them “ and nothing will happen. Unless of course the driver was under the influence at the time.
I have seen cyclists ride right into the danger zone of vehicles that were signaling their turn and in the process of a turn. I suspect an alert cyclist would have been able to avoid this if it were truly a right hook as opposed to more of a sideswipe. Physics just don't support a large truck making a rapid hook into that parking lot. Visually and audibly there were likely indicators of a slowing truck, and that is supposed to serve as a warning. I drive in areas with a fragmented bike lane system. It can be hard to remain constantly aware of when there is a marked lane beside me. I will never overtake a cyclist and turn right in front of them. I have had cyclists ride into my danger zone as I am turning.