Old 09-15-22, 08:24 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
Connecticut: (https://www.cga.ct.gov/current/pub/c...htm#sec_14-286)
Sec. 14-286b. (Emphasis added)
Operation of bicycles, electric bicycles and electric foot scooters on roadways. Prohibitions re attaching to moving vehicle. Penalty. (a) Any person operating a bicycle, an electric bicycle or an electric foot scooter upon a roadway at less than the normal speed of traffic shall ride as close to the right side of the roadway as is safe, as judged by such person, except when:

(1) Overtaking or passing another vehicle proceeding in the same direction;

(2) Preparing for a left turn at an intersection or into a private road or driveway;

(3) Reasonably necessary to avoid conditions, including, but not limited to, fixed or moving objects, parked or moving vehicles, bicycles, pedestrians, animals, surface hazards or lanes that are too narrow for a bicycle, an electric bicycle or an electric foot scooter and a motor vehicle to travel safely side by side within such lanes;

(4) Approaching an intersection where right turns are permitted and there is a dedicated right turn lane, in which case a person operating a bicycle, an electric bicycle or an electric foot scooter may ride on the left-hand side of such dedicated lane, even if such person does not intend to turn right;

Decent codification ......

NH law isn't phrased as well as (4), it just says that the FRAP doesn't apply in any lane in which a right turn is possible. I like the CT law, that's a really good description of how I deal with turn lanes. Generally, that lets cars pass me to my left and my right which, if the driver doesn't freak out because they don't get that, drivers actually appreciate. I've even had a couple tell me so as they passed me.

Generally, that is a pretty good statute, more explicit than "as practicable" that the cyclist needs to judge the conditions.