Old 01-31-23, 09:08 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3885 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
I'm trying to do the same thing I've done every year for the past 20 or so. I have software which builds custom plans of any length and intensity. I create an October-September plan and follow it as time permits. This year, I had a health issue and had to take time off, scrap the plan, and create a new one starting in January. This plan will peak at about 12 hours/week in summer. It always starts with a mix of moderate rides, pedaling drills, strength work, and walking. The hours increase, the walking and drills go away, replaced by a mix of Z2 and Z5 work, The Z5 stuff goes away, replaced by longer Z4 intervals, then a mix of intervals in all zones, all this with the usual Z2 and scarce Z1 rides. So it's trad and it works. I put all my workouts in TP and modify my scheduled workouts to keep my numbers about where I want them at that time of year. My secret weapon, not in the official plan, is to hike in the mountains every Monday, which follows the usual max strenuous group ride on Sunday.

Most of my steady-state Z2 rides are on the rollers, as it's too hilly here for me to do them outside. I also do intervals on the rollers, just because it's convenient. It rains a lot here.

Right now I'm doing a mix of Z2, Z3 intervals, strength training, hiking or skiing and neighborhood walks. The plan doesn't have me starting intervals until April, though I'll start getting them sooner than that, just by riding outside.