View Single Post
Old 09-18-19, 08:48 PM
Junkbeast

Bikes: 2023 Trek Domane SL 5 Gen 4

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 11 Posts
I got the 2019 Grail AL 7.0 today; the last green one left apparently. If the 2020 is some kind of matte navy blue I'll be pissed.

Anyway, I put it together but only got to test it around the block a couple times while messing with the seatpost height. I need to get the bars right still, too. The Canyon measurement system seems good enough and the L feels right even though I assumed an XL. My left pedal on my old bike was seized and caused a delay, and I now wish they were black because they clash with all the black accents on this new bike. It's only the aluminum model but it's quite a bit lighter than my old bike. I'm not in love with the tires so I'll probably put my 35mm X'Plor USHs on for the rest of my season (about 6 more weeks). Tomorrow I'll put my lights and sensors on the new bike and ride it for real.

I've been wanting a new bike for at least 7 years--a drop bar bike--and I can finally retire my trusty 2006 Trek 7.3FX; the shifting is spotty, the brakes are weak, it's heavy, and the bottom bracket is super chirpy now. It's got tens of thousands of miles and some original components still, so it's a lame horse but it held up well. I hope the Grail exhibits a similar level of service. I hope it doesn't take too long to adapt to the shifting/brakes vs. the mountain bike style on my Trek.