View Single Post
Old 08-27-20, 12:57 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10902 Post(s)
Liked 7,393 Times in 4,148 Posts
Originally Posted by _ForceD_
The bike in question in my OP isn't currently using a crown-mounted stop. But...I know it's drilled for one becasue I recall looking at the hole and thinking that I could mount a spare side-pull caliper on it (but obviously didn't cause it'd leave the canti lugs weirdly exposed). Although the smaller pads have mostly eliminated the shudder...I've told the kid that I want to properly correct it...told him to bring the bike next time he's home from school.

Still the cause/correction is baffling to me. I just don't see how moving the cable stop from the steerer to the fork crown eliminates the shudder.

Dan
I dont believe it eliminates the shuddering on all bikes. Some shudder more than others. Ive read that varbon forks shudder more than steel(who know if true). I've read tall head tubes are more prone to shudder due to distance between the headset stop and the brake hanger.

There is no 1 exact solution and sometimes its just 1 change or other times its multiple changes to fix the issue.