Old 10-17-20, 03:33 PM
RadDog
Banned.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by brawlo
What is your aim for the wheelset? Racing, general everyday/training use? It seems like cost is a big concern. Looking at weight only really works if it’s purely a climbing wheelset. Everywhere else aero>weight. And when it comes to aero, there is virtually no difference in 24vs26. Then to complicate things, in order to build ‘lightweight’ wheelsets a lot of builders use a standard weight or sometimes heavier rim To hold low spoke counts and take up the weight loss in ultralight hubs and low spoke counts, the places where someone of your size really needs strength in a build. From those options I would go for utility and so maybe the 32/32 that you like best. Then I’d save up for a nice set of racier aero wheels if you want to race or just go fast.

I’m heavier than you and did many moons ago pull those numbers in the gym. Learn to ride ‘right’ for your power and size and your gear will last. I’ve only broken a spoke and an old chain on a bike I keep in the trainer in 13years of riding and concentrating for a number of years on track sprinting. I’ve seen lots of guys far lighter and weaker than me break tons of stuff because their technique is crap
Based upon your advice, then, I should go for the heavier 32/32 Dura aced hub wheelset at 1680 grams.