View Single Post
Old 05-26-21, 08:27 AM
sysrq

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
If you haven't tried it and acquired some data, then it's just hypothetical. <grin>

However when I rode very little because I worked and didn't make time to ride, I tended to like cushiony saddles. That was just for 20 minute rides in the neighborhood and at a slow pace. As careers slowed down for me I began to ride more and more. That cushiony saddle just made more places for my skin to rub becoming sore and irritated.

Remember on a bicycle your legs are constantly going up and down rubbing on the saddle. If you ride long, you don't want your legs plowing through the cushioning of the saddle as they move.
Only 2 years ago I was able to ride on a hard leather saddle for 9 hours per day even after winter break. Now at different location tried Brooks, Selle Anatomica and nothing feels right, only Lepper Concorde with softened leather and plain gel cover on top of it seems to have proper width and curvature which feels supportive, but after 1-2 hours it starts to feel too painful on the sitbones, so had no other choice but to look for new solutions. The Vanten air cell cover feels like something is constantly poking in you. Seems wierd since inflatable air cell cushions are used to prevent bed sores on wheelchairs and such. Bicycle saddles must be the hardest thing in the world to get right. Some said that they are using inflatable air cell cushions on long motorcycle journeys only as a bailout solution to provide some change.

Last edited by sysrq; 05-26-21 at 08:43 AM.