Thread: Canadian Border
View Single Post
Old 08-08-21, 09:54 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3426 Post(s)
Liked 1,441 Times in 1,122 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
That border crossing is called Chief Mountain. Thought it looked familiar. I’ve crossed in both directions.

Yes. There is some impressive climbing in the Belly River Valley. Not long after leaving Waterton there’s something like a 6 mile climb heading towards the US border. Going in the other direction, our ACA map warned us not to take the hills for granted after crossing Going to the Sun the day before.
Great photos.

Some of the hills that day, I was pleased that there was very little traffic on the road from Waterton, as some of the time I was doing switchbacks back and forth within the two lanes on the road to try to flatten the grade slightly.

The next day, Going to the Sun was almost a pleasure ride, as it was a constant flatter grade between about 5 and 6 percent.

Profile from my GPS data from Waterton to St Mary.

Photo below as I was leaving Waterton. I had no interest in getting closer for a better photo.

It started raining on the day we left Waterton, but fortunately it was after the big hills, so no trouble braking on the downhills.