Old 11-25-22, 02:18 PM
gdgross

Bikes: Peugeot PR-10

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
Peugeot PX-10(?) crank question

Hi all - my commuter bike is a Peugeot PX something, maybe a 10, that's older than I am, and I love the thing to death. No need for a new bike if I can keep this baby alive!

The latest problem was the crank seizing up, which I mostly fixed by removing the left side crank and cleaning and re installing, and re-lubing, the ball bearings. That made it mostly functional, but it was still a little stiff and since I was in the zone I tried taking the sprockt side crank off as well, which I did.

The problem is how to remove the shaft cover thing on the sprocket side. It's an octagon, and looks to be 1.5" diameter. I tried with my big crescent wrench, but I can't get a good enough grip on it without it slipping off, and I'm afraid of rounding the edges, so I don't want to push it.

Question is, is there a tool for removing/tightening/loosening this thing? (and what's it even called? sprocket side ball bearing cover? lol)

pics attached

Thanks!

Geoff

Unfortunately, the forum won't let me post a picture I guess because I'm too new I suppose? (I can DM to anyone who want to see, or maybe I'll figure out a workaround after I post this.)