View Single Post
Old 11-25-22, 05:45 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4511 Post(s)
Liked 6,378 Times in 3,667 Posts
Originally Posted by gdgross
Welp it was pretty easy getting to the bearings and removing the shaft from the other side. Got everything out, cleaned and reinstalled with new grease in under half an hour.

Thanks for the help! It feels much much smoother than before. I did have to grind down the inside of the crank arm a bit as it was binding when I tightened everything up, but once that was done this thing spins better than it ever has.

Now I just have to figure out how to get a seized pedal unscrewed from the sprocket side crank arm. It's in there reeeeeeal good. I've put the crank arm in my bench vise and still cant get the pedal to budge. Soak in WD40 or something?
If you had to grind on the crank arm, the spindle is in backwards or something else is wrong.

You should NEVER grind on a crank arm, it is weakened at that point now, you need to sand and smooth that area now, at the very least.

That pedal is the wrong thread for the crank and without mad skills and and a standard pedal tap, you will be hard pressed to get it out and corrected.

We can see from here it is not seated for being cross threaded, you might be able to overhaul it and keep it usable by 'leaving it in place" too.