SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1948 Post(s)
Liked 1,471 Times in 1,020 Posts
Originally Posted by Defy Dene
Locally, they want 160-180 for a pro bike fitting. I’ve YouTube the subject to death and I don’t think it is real rocket science to do yourself. Seat height, seat fore/aft, stem length and angle plus spacers, handlebar rotation, etc are the main things. Then play with feet positioning in the clips. I’m a cheapo and would like to try playing with the Defy for a few hundred miles on my own.
CAN $160 is not too bad for a proper bike fit, which takes a couple of hours, but I agree that it is not absolutely necessary. It really depends on how thoroughly you were measured for, and test rode, your road bike so that you are at least starting off with the frame size closest to what your body needs. (Before I ordered my first road bike, the bike technician at REI measured me for around 20 minutes, and setup the model I wanted in both sizes 54 and 56, and made adjustments to the saddle position based on my comments after each of multiple test rides of both bikes, so it felt like half a bike fit.) If that is the case, you can patiently make incremental adjustments to fine tune your own fit yourself.

As you gain fitness and familiarity with your new bike, your position will change, so you have to further adjust your fit.
Likes For SoSmellyAir: