View Single Post
Old 03-10-22, 02:39 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10970 Post(s)
Liked 7,497 Times in 4,193 Posts
Originally Posted by qwaalodge
I've always bought the right frame size for me but always found myself too stretched. Getting an under-sized frame is not an option. I hate toe strikes and don't want lower stack. Adjusting the fore and aft saddle position is also not option because mine is already dialed in perfectly for best comfort.

I already replaced the 110mm stem with 80mm stem still wanting to have shorter stem. I've been testing different hand positions on the dropbar to see how short I need to get to feel just right and not overstretched and found I need the shortest stem available - the zero length stems for MTB.

But how does these stems feel on a road bike? Would it make the bike feel quite twitchy? Would I adapt quickly to the difference in handling? Is it safe?
1- If you always buy the right size frame, then you wont always find yourself too stretched out. Sucks to hear, but its reality.
2- Buy a 60mm stem if you need something shorter. Or buy one that is 35deg too which will bring the bars up and also not as far out since its 60mm in length and not 60mm beyond the steerer.
3- Look into short reach handlebars. Specialized brand short reach bars are 65mm of reach, for example. This will bring the brake levers towards you a bit.

A 60mm stem on a road bike is perfectly safe. And yeah, you can adjust to it. Nothing will break due to that change. It will help demonstrate that the frame is actually not well fit for you though. Perhaps a frame with different geometry would be best. What do you ride right now?
Likes For mstateglfr: