FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '12 Schwinn, '13 Norco

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,176 Times in 795 Posts
Originally Posted by gear64
I think technology is not too surprising, and my category. I would think the primary bias is working in a fixed location most of the time. That can include plant shift workers, plant engineers, product engineers, consulting engineers, software programmers, IT, technicians(couldn't even begin to list the subsets here), etc.
Technology workers make a lot of sense that commuting is a high possibility. People in tech may get paid well enough to live not too far from their jobs.

Regarding plants around here that I visit for work, they are located in mostly industrial areas with heavy truck traffic. Rough roads with no shoulders with 50 mph speed limits, meaning cars and trucks are doing 60 mph. I've seen personally many a truck accident, and the aftermath of other accidents around these areas. During rush hour, there is no where for a bike to be but on the grass or sidewalk. Plus, most plant workers I know here are so worn out after working a 10 to 12 hour shift (always overtime pre-pandemic) they don't have the energy to pedal back home.

Hard to say about technicians, because maybe we are talking about different kinds of technicians. I'm a traveling tech and I carry about 250 lbs. of tools in my van for work. Other techs I know may carry the same loadout, or if they work on lighter equipment they may carry 1/3rd the weight in tools, but carry a lot of supplies and parts in their vehicles. Plus, the distances covered in a day doesn't lend itself to bicycles. That basically explains why I can't be a bicycle commuter*, even though I really wish I could.

*Which means I didn't vote in the poll.

Last edited by FiftySix; 08-09-20 at 04:06 PM. Reason: Didn't vote
Likes For FiftySix: