Old 07-03-22, 12:04 AM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Originally Posted by Ubie
Works with Saturday Night Live casts as well. Ask someone what their favorite cast was, when they were live that person was probably between the ages of 14-20.
Originally Posted by Kapusta
Hmmm. I’m in my 50s, and I think recent years have been some of SNL’s best.
I'm mid-60s and still watch it every week (recorded for later viewing, usually a little earlier on Sunday evening. Some current cast members are brilliant, some meh. Some guest hosts really nail it, some don't. Some musical acts are great to watch, some I skip. But Weekend Update, I think, is as good as ever and has been consistently great for at least the last 20 years, probably forever.

I could say the exact same thing for the entire 2000s. Some of the cast members and overall ensembles were all time greats, some very weak. I didn't watch much in the 80s and 90s so can't really judge. I was in my early 20s when it started. I watch some of that old stuff, 70s 80s, 90s and can say the exact same thing about the casts and skits as I wrote above. Sometimes it's brilliant, but it wasn't uniformly great and never has been.

What's interesting to me is when new cast members start. There's been several I just didn't think were good at first, but really blossomed.