View Single Post
Old 11-20-21, 04:56 PM
one4smoke

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Comp SC - 2016 Specialized Roubaix SL4 - 2015 Giant Roam 2 Disc

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 639 Post(s)
Liked 338 Times in 224 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
If your rack was damaged by someone else then it's just a matter of how long you are willing to not settle.

I had a friend that got a check from an insurance agent and never cashed it because it wasn't for the amount he thought he was due. A year later he wen back to that insurance guy and ask when they were going to settle his claim. The agent said that the claim was already settled because he'd cashed the check. My friend showed him the check showing that it hadn't been cashed. The agent muttered a few words and then wrote and exchanged checks giving my friend the full amount he originally wanted.

Still, we are just guessing the particulars of your situation and have no idea if it's your insurance you are asking about or whether someone else's insurance is paying.
No offense, but I had to laugh out loud at this. I've been in the auto insurance business for the past 20 years and I can assure you the agent had nothing to do with handing out checks. That duty falls strictly on the claims department and the adjuster.

As far as the rack being covered, it's obviously in the rear of the vehicle, so if there's damage in that area most of the time its due to someone rear-ending the person. With that being the case there is no deductible, so the rack would be fully covered unless the person that caused the accident had no insurance. In that case, it would fall under the insured's uninsured motorists coverage (normally with a mandated $200 deductible) IF it is permanently attached with a hitch. If just mounted by straps or such, probably not.

But, if it was a matter of the owner of the rack backing up and damaging the rack due to his own negligence, it would not be worth filing a claim under his collision (not eligible for a comprehensive claim).