Sciguy 

Location: Constableville, NY between the Tug Hill plateau and the Adirondacks

Bikes: Fugi Jari, Surly Ice Cream Truck, ancient Litespeed 26er, Cervelo P3

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by SJX426
@Sciguy - My personal opinion is not to cut the hubs out. There are number of C&V members who still promote and use tubulars, myself included, and would prefer a complete wheel set. With spokes at about $1 each w/o nipples, I would prefer not having to spend the extra to build them up. This is with the assumption that the rims are true and still have a braking surface that is usable. If the rims are toast, save the spokes! Measure them and sell them too.

As for the 27" rims, It really isn't much different as there are a number of older bikes that are challenged, especially in the rear, to find calipers for 700c rims for a frame built for 27" rims. Of course if the bike was high end it likely had tubulars anyway.

You might spend 30 min to polish the hubs with mothers at the most. Your call.

Now checking the condition of the bearings is worth increasing the price of the hub if all is good and new lube. Then you can check the date on the cone. Better investment than polishing.
Thanks for the quick and well reasoned reply. I'm worried about the substantial jump in cost to ships boxes of greater than 1 cubic foot that USPS having shipped some cross country skis this past winter. I built both wheel sets in ~ 1974 and wonder if the nipples will be a bit tough to turn after 37 years

Hugh

"Date on the cone"?
Likes For Sciguy: