Old 03-10-21, 07:24 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3374 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
Originally Posted by burnthesheep
I have found a local route that's used a lot by roadie groups and safe and flat enough long enough I'm giving a 50 a try this spring. It's out by Butner where grandpa Madhoff is in prison. It's also normally neutral cross wind, meaning a plus for a disc rear wheel.

I'll give it a go. If my 25 pace was over 25mph, it's going to be really really close for a sub 2-hr. In training now I'm within 7w of that 25mi pace from 2020 for 90min rides on the TT bike of challenging hills/corners. Stands to reason if I can meter the effort better on flatter terrain I'd gain a watt or two.

Realistic goal is 125min. Good training opportunity. Needs to warmup though in the mornings as I would be doing it at sunup for no traffic.
To change the subject a wee bit, a good aero position and some head tucking and helmet can easily get you that 7w. You could likely drop 20W and be faster. If you can hold 25MPH now, it is rare that there is not significant - more significant improvements lowering both Crr and power. The goal should be to lower both - and go faster. Just my bias, but outside of the VR world speed is still the 2nd best measure vs winning.