View Single Post
Old 03-01-22, 06:49 AM
CrowSeph

Bikes: BMC SLR01; Cannondale Trail; Lot's of project and vintage bikes..

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 163 Times in 100 Posts
Stupid question about my rear derailleur

I currently have a 2x10 setup with shimano deore.
i know that i must use the larger cog while on the rear the chain is near the smallest ,at the same time on other bikes i can use the combination of the smallest front cog and smallest rear cog even if is not correct. In that case i can still pedaling whitout noticing that the cogs combinations is not right , on my bike the chain seems working in a strange way amd sometimes jump (in the worst case scenario if i try to climb with the wrong combinations the chain keep jumping and the bike is not pedalable at all).
I noticed that the derailleur seems in a wrong positions , compared to other bikes with the same setup.

This is the derailleur on my bike , notice that the chain is touching himself at the point of the bigger pulley.

this other image has been taked from a random website , as you can see the derailleur is almost on the same position but the chain seems to be in a better positions.

Do you think i must adjust my derailleur (maybe adding more tension to the hanger's bolt forcing it to keep the chain more in tension) or i must shorten the chain a bit?
(or i there is another solution please write it down)

Sorry for my bad eng