View Single Post
Old 12-19-22, 09:42 AM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1397 Post(s)
Liked 1,874 Times in 1,078 Posts
Originally Posted by albrt
I agree with Richard and Ironfish about functional bicycles, although as Richard knows I prefer to replace gunky rapid shifters with friction thumbies on a basic transportation bike. But if the OP has any thought of flipping, I am seeing signs of the bottom falling out of the used bike market. These bikes are better for rebuilding than a lot of newer bikes, but better-than-zero resale value is not the same as profitable resale value.
we’ve been able to ‘revive’ low end Shimano Rapidfire shifters that sat for decades with WD-40 and/or Tri-Flo

Grip Shift shifters are a good option for a bike like this if the original shifters need to be replaced

Grip Shift 400 - 500 - 600 series 7 speed shifters ... 400 series are fairly easy to find and are inexpensive ... pair with Dia Compe brake levers that are also fairly easy to find and inexpensive ... Dia Compe 7 is one example

mid-90’s STX / STX RC stuff can be found in good shape for reasonable priced

also - new 7 speed Rapidfire replacement shifters are still available - one example :
Shimano ST-EF65-7 3 x 7 Speed Brake Shifter Combination Lever
just recently saw them on Amazon for $30 (including shipping)

not a fan of thumb shifters ... been there done that ... lol

Last edited by t2p; 12-19-22 at 09:46 AM.
Likes For t2p: