Old 01-09-23, 10:09 PM
Ironfish653
Dirty Heathen

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale, 1976 Bridgestone, 1998 SoftRide, 1989 Klein, 1989 Black Lightning #0033

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked 906 Times in 534 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat
I don't know that they think it peaked. They might not think the upgrade is worth it.

Theoretically, there could come a time in the near future that the perfect bike for everything and everyone will be made. The one and only that will make all others obsolete. Can you dig it suckers? Can you dig it? Only 2 drawbacks. It will cost 25k and is not in any way compatible with anything currently being sold. Manufacturers decide on 3 years parts manufacture/inventory before abandoning the current bikes altogether. Tinfoil tinfoil tinfoil
Without pushing this into P&R, Your hypothetical is dependent on a lot of conditions, chiefly that all global manufacturing, marketing and distribution is placed under the control of a single monolithic hegemony, which reduces the entire bicycle economy to a single ultrabike, and somehow also eliminates the sale, supply and trade of all currently existing parts and used bicycles.
I hope you warmed up properly before attempting those mental gymnastics

Most of my bikes are nice, older bikes;
two of them contain significant proprietary components from companies that don’t exist anymore. I can enjoy those bikes for what they are, knowing that eventually they’ll have to go on the wall for good.

I have older bikes because I have other budgetary considerations than new bikes. I enjoy my nice, old bikes, but I don’t consider myself some kind of superior because I didn’t shell out more money for new ones.
Deriding people who choose to do so doesn’t make you better than them, it just makes you look smug

Last edited by Ironfish653; 01-09-23 at 10:24 PM.
Likes For Ironfish653: