View Single Post
Old 01-20-23, 11:42 PM
shrtdstncrdr

Bikes: Trek Millennia, Trek 400, Raleigh Superbe, Giant OCR3, Bianchi Milano

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 62 Times in 41 Posts
As someone who has a real congenital heart defect which culminated in a year's lost work and thus income, and who's ongoing treatment is found at one of the top thirty hospitals in heart care, I've not been told to avoid alcohol by any heart professional. Maybe because I rarely drink to begin with. From what I gather, the symptoms of moderate (take that for what you will, I suppose) drinking have been largely overstated. Refraining from keeping (or trying to keep) up with your peers in any activity after you hit middle age might be a bigger problem.

Here's a better idea. If your friends don't drink, don't let them dictate whether or not you do. If your friends do drink, same answer.

My family, extended as well, is a poor example for this thread. They all drank and lived well into their eightes. Does this infer genetics? No idea. I'm the only one with heart problems. No one else in my family has had this issue. (yet it's congenital)

I remember when eggs were bad for you. And coffee. Then red meat. I forget what the latest boogeyman is, but if you avoid it you won't ever die.