View Single Post
Old 01-27-23, 10:15 PM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,290 Times in 743 Posts
Originally Posted by urbanknight
Since you're saying it a second time (I just read it and moved on the first time), I'm not sure I fully agree with you. Most people I know who had saddle sores and fixed it were on too narrow of a saddle, had the wrong tilt on the saddle, or were otherwise having chafing issues that were resolved by a embrocation and/or a different chamois (I do realize that chafing could be caused by fit, but it also might not). That being said, it could very well be a fit issue and it wouldn't hurt to have it looked at first if for no other reason to rule it out before wasting $$$ on saddle after saddle.

That also reminds me, RoadRider5 how level is your saddle? I've known many people (including myself) who tried to relieve pressure by tilting the saddle forward when it was actually better to tilt it back slightly, so gravity would pull you back and resting on your wider, cushier, derriere instead of the more sensitive parts further forward.
Tilt of saddle = fit. Using a chamois is a way of mitigating an issue, but what caused the issue? The OP also complained of soft tissue pain, usually caused by fit, too high seat height, too much reach or too much drop, or a combination.

It's not me saying this, good fitters say this. You can mitigate the issue with various band aid approaches, but it is always better to fix the underlying problem. Look at fit first, then look at other things. I can ride 50-70 miles a day with no chamois, no padded shorts, and do it day after day on tour, and I do, but I could not until I addressed the fit issue. My seat was too high. I tried all sorts of shorts and ointments, but nothing worked until I got the seat down where it should be. Too many people come out of a "bike fit," with a seat that is too high for their individual fitness level, and flexibility, and often too much drop and reach. They have soft tissue pain, and get saddle sores.

Interestingly, once I got my seat height correct for me, I no longer have to tilt it up to remain planted on the rear of the seat, I just stay there naturally. I'm running a Brooks too.

If the OP only had chafing, I would be all for suggesting some sort of product, but since they also experience soft tissue pain, I lean towards a fit issue.
Likes For phughes: