View Single Post
Old 01-28-23, 08:01 AM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Liked 809 Times in 471 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
I just spooned some 700x35 Conti Contact Urban tires on my gravel bike. These are wire bead only tires that are comparatively heavy. There is not much info out there on them. Bicycle Rolling Resistance likes them quite well. They have about as good a combination of rolling resistance and flat protection as I have seen. Given that puncture protection is my #1 consideration, getting reasonable rolling resistance with it is bonus. I'll ride them after dinner and report back.
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
I just got back from a test spin on these things. As a point of reference, the replaced Clement Strada LGG 700x32 road tires. As another point of reference, the best tires I have ever run are Conti GP4000 S2 tires in size 700x28.. The ride wasn't a thorough shakedown, as a thunderstorm is approaching. I rode them only on broken concrete streets up to about 20 MPH. They roll as well as the much lighter Clement tires. At 75 PSI (94 is max on these) they were compliant and not dead feeling.

Bottom line: I can see why Bicycle Rolling Resistance liked these. If they live up to their substantial puncture resistance rating, I am going to be thrilled. Interestingly BRR rated these a 5 of five and the Clements a 2 of 5. In terms of performance, these weren't that much better.

As it relates to the OP, I'd call them fast. Not the fastest, but satisfyingly fast.
Paul..any further thoughts on the Conti Contact Urbans? Looks like you've had a season on them at this point.