View Single Post
Old 02-02-23, 09:20 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3235 Post(s)
Liked 2,080 Times in 1,178 Posts
Originally Posted by TiHabanero
Not so sure there is less maintenance with electronic shifting. The der mechs must be kept clean just like a mechanical mech, the shifters have batteries that need replacement once a year, and the der battery(ies) need(s) to be charged. There is maintenance, just a different kind of maintenance.

The shift cables on my Campy 11 speed have 3 seasons on them, and will go at least another season. I shift quite a bit and imagine in the next year or two the right wire will need replacement. So far the mech shifting has been zero maintenance outside of cleaning the ders. Not bad in my book.

One thing for certain, and this happened to a customer as well as a friend of mine, one of the der will need replacement, and hoo-boy, they ain't cheap! About twice the price of a mechanical one.

It all comes down to what level of luxury one desires. Ain't nothin' wrong with that. Would I strike out on a long distance tour with electronic shifting? Not a chance. I'm still stuck on friction shifting for as much simplicity as possible when on tour.
Agree, I should have phrased it as less maintenance. Not needing to change internal derailer cables is a huge time saver. Charging batteries it plug it and leave it. I do clean the chain and derailers on the mt. bikes more often then the road bikes, but a wash as I would do that on mechanical as well. The single easiest thing and why I like elec. on the mt. bikes as I have never adjusted, it just shifts perfectly every time for 3 years now.