Old 03-02-24, 03:10 PM
KCT1986

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 237 Posts
Originally Posted by Piff
As an update to this thread...there are actually three!! shimano brake levers that are SLR + non-aero. The third option are Exage Sport levers. BL-a450. Just found some on ebay for a reasonable price and couldn't believe my eyes. Out came the wallet.

For SLR single pivot brakes, is there any difference between 1050, 6400, and 740x brakes? Or do they all have the special bearings and such that make their action supah smooth.

Originally Posted by Piff
I've read some hub-bub about there being special ball bearings and washers to facilitate extra smooth action at the caliper as well. Just wondering if all of the regular SLR single pivot brakes had them. I'd assume so, but there are always exceptions.
If you're referring to the bearing system as pictured below, then the 3 calipers above does have it. BR-1050 pictured.

It's called 'thrust bearings' by Shimano, little balls imbedded in the bushing that don't really rotate but just reduces friction with the coated washers that sandwich it. Same system that is used by many of their 'nicer' dual pivot calipers that followed it.

Per the below not all SLR single pivot had it (this is from 1986), so not on the 'L', don't know if this changed later. Also, for dual pivot, not all had the thrust bearings in all generations.

Likes For KCT1986: