tds101 
55+ Club,...

Bikes: 9+,...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1129 Post(s)
Liked 856 Times in 599 Posts
Originally Posted by RCMoeur
It would seem you read more into my comment than I actually said. And you are correct that a substantial and growing percentage of big-box bikes are using aluminum frames. And yes, owners can upgrade these bikes without making a poor investment due to standardized componentry. What's on the floor these days at the big box is far better than the spot-welded bikes of 40-50 years ago. But a big-box bike owner may not be aware of upgrade opportunities that could make a big difference in performance.

I have nothing at all against coaster brake cruisers, having owned more than one and assembled many a Cranbrook and others out of the box. The only issues seemed to be when a boxed bike had a bad trip across the ocean and arrived bent, dented, or mangled. They do good service for buyers at a very attractive price point, and resell well if not neglected or rusted.

However, I now recall another type of big-box bike that has vexed me - the 16" / 18" / 20" wheel "easy assemble" kids' bikes that use a plastic bushing for the top headset race so the buyer can easily drop in the handlebar assembly perpendicular to the front wheel. Great concept, but poor execution. There's no ability to repair or upgrade, and a faulty or failing headset results in junking the entire frame & fork. So far, these haven't yet seemed to spread to the larger adult cruisers discussed in this thread, but if they do, it won't be good.

Now if you'll excuse me, I need to beat up a misbehaving Tourney derailleur...
Um, I read into it what you stated. And after reading all that text, I'm trying to figure out what the 16/18/20 inch wheeled bikes have to do with this "show me your cruiser" thread...

Enjoy your misbehaving Tourney derailleur