View Single Post
Old 06-23-20, 08:54 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10971 Post(s)
Liked 7,498 Times in 4,194 Posts
Originally Posted by ridelikeaturtle
Is there some cult Gunnar following of which I'm not aware?

It's not a pretty bike. The head tube is too long, the frame isn't special, and the whole package screams "boring".
It might be a fantastic bike, but "Modern Classic" it is not.

Some like the brand due to the associated history to Schwinn Paramounts. The longer head tube is a design element to reduce spacer stack.
I looked into Gunnar twice. Once while I was looking around for a modern steel road bike frame- I ended up taking a frame building class and making one myself. And once while I was looking for a modern steel gravel bike- I ended up buying a Fairlight Secan frame from England.
Gunnar was very willing to discuss ideas with me...to a point. They wouldnt get into the details of tubing, which I found odd since I was told they would customize it for me and my riding...I would think that would be reason to tell the customer whats being used and why. Their website was frustratingly basic and outdated information littered pages, which didnt make the research side of things fun.

Gunnar isnt inexpensive and there are tons of similar priced quality builders. I wouldnt consider a bike with a sloping top tube and extended head tube, carbon fork, and threadless stem to be modern classic, but thats just me. I bet the bike is fun to ride which is most important.
Likes For mstateglfr: