View Single Post
Old 03-27-21, 07:03 PM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
Did a bunch of cornering on descent drills; on Tuesday I was losing about 30 seconds every lap on the downhills. Mainly because I wasn't cornering as fast and going out at a decent speed. Since 2 are corners that go into small rollers the more speed you go through the faster and less power you need. One of them has a sand patch right at the apex and it was definitely affecting my smoothness. In my defense, this corner takes out about 5 riders a year mainly because of that patch. When I did hit the corners perfectly, it just seemed underwhelming like, 'really, that's it?'

TBH, I don't think there's anything wrong with my cornering; I've never been Sagan and I'm not one of rail them on the final turn for a winning move but these issues are more because of what's occupying my headspace than the actual technique. I know I haven't ridden outside in a year and I want to be safe, which imo is part of the issue. Obviously we want to be as safe as possible but imo that entails focusing on riding and not every little element in the road because for the most part they're out of your control. Its like when you are walking on a balance beam. Its easy at 3 feet, but that same beam at 100 feet somehow becomes more difficult because of what's in our heads.