View Single Post
Old 02-11-19, 03:52 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18378 Post(s)
Liked 4,512 Times in 3,354 Posts
Originally Posted by madpogue
most locals call Williamson "Willy Street".
One should be able to figure that one out.

When I was up in Portland, listening to the morning road reports on the radio, they would read off a list of names of bridges, but I don't think any of the bridge names were marked on either the streets or bridges on any map. I had no idea what they were talking about.

I didn't do a lot of freeway commuting, so I just ignored it.

Here, we have "Beltline Hwy"... it officially has a number designation, but nobody uses the numbers. Actually, it has been called "beltline" since construction, and the numbers are relatively recent. A few years ago, the state officially renamed it to "Randy Papé Beltline", but I've never heard it referred to as "Randy Papé"

Hmmm... More interesting history of that road. It was built in the 1960's and 70's... and officially designated as Route 69 decades later in 2002. But, the state never actually posted any signs with "69"

ORoads: Oregon Route 69

Eventually the road was renumbered with the far less interesting number, 569.

If you wish to take HWY 69, you may have to head down to Mississippi.

Back here in Eugene/Springfield, we have a Freeway called State HWY 126 in Springfield, and Interstate HWY 105 in Eugene. So, depending on where people are, they'll have two names for the same freeway.

126, of course, is a road/route designation from Florence on the coast to Redmond in centeral Oregon, over 200 miles long. And, technically the segment of Interstate 105 is part of 126.
Likes For CliffordK: