Old 07-22-21, 06:39 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by MinnMan
*I thought L/R power was useless until there were injuries and I changed my bike fit. I have the Assioma Duo pedals because I was dumb and suspected (wrongly) that my power might be very asymmetric. For a long time, it seemed that two-sided had been a waste. My power balance was almost always 50/50 or 51/49 or, very seldom 52/48, with no preference for which leg had the higher value. One sided would have been just fine. But I’ve been fighting various injuries (in both legs) and partly because of that, I recently changed my bike fit, including my cleat positions. Since then, my power balance has been a steady 53/47, always with L>R. And this is even though it’s my left leg that has the more serious injury. Not that this has a big effect on my total power, but something is going on. What is it? My current hypothesis is that my legs haven’t got used to the new cleat positions, which changed more on the right than the left (because the right knee wasn’t staying straight through its revolution). I think I’m still spinning as I did before with the left, but that the right is doing more mashing, without smooth effort through the revolution. I can work on this, but I wouldn’t have noticed it without the odd L/R readings.
Power meters were more expensive when I bought my Vectors. I bought dual because $700 was more than I was willing to pay to not have the right number. It was the principal of it. 🙂

And then I injured a tendon in each foot. It runs through the ankle too. Like you, one worse than the other. I can see how it's doing from the L/R numbers. I don't know if your pedals measure platform center offset, with the nature of my injury that's been very useful too. When I start to aggravate it, it affects how I ride the bike.

I'm very glad I have this data. I wouldn't recommend somebody to buy them for this reason who wasn't already injured, but if it happens, this and the years of preinjury data are bona fide useful.