View Single Post
Old 01-07-22, 07:53 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,039 Times in 1,877 Posts
Originally Posted by SquireBlack
I just bought this frame — frame only, no components other than the headset. Original paint, quite dinged up. I'm guessing early- to mid-1980s, based on
  • being a 12-speed, which I presume meant a 6-speed freewheel and a "double-clanger"
  • brake caliper drillings bored for recessed brake nuts
  • clamp-on down tube shifter levers
  • above-the bottom bracket gear cable routing, and top of the top tube rear brake cable routing
  • lugged construction
The serial number is GE 02906, which doesn't seem to correspond to any of the formats in Post #1. The material sticker says "CR-MO SEAMLESS TUBING / TANGE 5 / P.G TUBES". I figure that "P.G" means "Pretty Good" ;-)

Can some of you Nishiki experts tell me more? Is it possible to pin down the year?
The G-prefixto the S/N is believed to indicate an Asian market model. The E, in conjunction with the frame features, indicates 1985 manufacture, though if manufactured late in the calendar year, it could be a 1986 model. In the American market, the decal scheme was different between 1985 and 1986, with the style on your frame being used for 1986. However, I'm not sure if this also held true for the Asian markert models.

The PG on the tubing decal stands for plain gauge. In other other words. the tubing thickness in constant for the entire length of the tube and not butted at the ends, as found on better grade tubesets. Also, the Tange #5 tubing is only used in the three main tubes of the frame. The fork blades and rear stays are a lesser grade material, likely hi-tensile steel. The frame material and characteristics are indcative of an upper entry level model for the era.