Old 04-15-22, 05:23 AM
slcbob
bored of "Senior Member"

Bikes: Cross-Check/Nexus commuter. Several others for various forms of play.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 642 Post(s)
Liked 593 Times in 453 Posts
I think it is too simple to blame only the driver. Not that they shouldn't take a hit, similar to the captain asleep in his bunk when the duty officer runs aground. However, the cars do not move up until told, and then they must move through. They toot when they do. He could not have been more to the left and reacted well when things went pear shaped. All that was happening correctly. The riders have some duty to behave as part of the ecosystem. Coquard (I think he was the one who shot out and back but didn't go down) & co. own some of the blame. I assume the fellow who went down behind the car did so because of the Coquard-induced braking, but even then, QS did not slam on the brakes so they mitigated the damage.

Commentary I saw said it was a difficult course with very few places to move the cars through. That stretch was one of them. Maybe it was the least bad option. So maybe the commissaire who sent Ineos and then QS cars through, that I so glibly fined in the prior post, was doing a reasonable thing. Still ended poorly. Another owner.

Lousy situation with multiple contributing factors. Thankfully a rare result. We'd like it rarer. Glad no one got squished. But this was not culpable negligence like the idiot who put Flecha and Hoogerland into the barbed wire or some of the other moto incidents in recent years.