Old 08-23-23, 04:08 AM
KC8QVO

Bikes: Surly Disk Trucker, 2014 w/Brooks Flyer Special saddle, Tubus racks - Duo front/Logo Evo rear, 2019 Dahon Mariner D8, Both bikes share Ortlieb Packer Plus series panniers, Garmin Edge 1000

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 99 Posts
I gave the set up a test run yesterday. All seems OK so far.

I did load the trailer/hitch a good bit. Not so much from weight, but I ran through a field that has tall overgrown brush. I wasn't sure if I was going to be able to stay up on the bike riding through it but I have a really low gear (added a 4th tiny chain ring, don't remember the gear-inches off the top of my head - there is a thread on it here on the forums somewhere from about 2017-2018). When I get a chance I'll take the hitch apart a bit and see if there is any sign of stress in places - namely the thin spot around the bolt hole for the smaller hitch receiver bracket (see post #28, 2nd paragraph under the 2nd picture).

This is the usual set up - 1 frame section length, 1 tote, and the SMV + light combo on the pole. I've stated many times now the height of the pole gets the important markers up in the air. That makes an enormous difference of warning distance when cresting hills. If the indicators were down low a car would have to crest a hill far enough to bring everything in to view on the other side to see it. Up on the pole they can see it before fully cresting the hill. Hence why the flashy light is at the top - its the most "in your face" active indicator. Kinda like a bright red "watch out" middle finger When I am on the open road I use a pool noodle sticking out as a "give me passing space" middle finger also. Works pretty good. For in town I haven't had much trouble just with the indicators you see. Sometimes people don't give me much passing space, but so far no pissed off drivers running me off the road, laying on their horns, or yelling at me. I'm sure it will happen in time.

I think the saddle clamps are definitely the way to go. There isn't any concentration of force on any part of a stay - it is a 4 point distribution, 2 points on 2 stays. The best part is the hitch is completely rigid now - there is no way for it to sag and jam the brake. Even if the bolts loosened up there is no way for it to sag because of how the saddles hug the stays - they are locked by geometry.