cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: http://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2422 Post(s)
Liked 4,396 Times in 2,093 Posts
Originally Posted by Sianelle
It looks very much like it's the original badge Kurt and the pins look like they've never been disturbed either. No scratches or marks anywhere to show that it might be a transplant. I've got a slightly later gent's roadster frame that has the stainless steel badge, - so I'm wondering if some of the early 1947 production might've had brass badges before the change over to stainless steel.
Must be an idiosyncrasy of the home market, west European, and Aussie-market models (just now noticed you're N.Z.), while the U.S. machines came with the chromed steel badge. One other thing to take note of - I have seen some non-Nottingham production carry the "Nottingham England" lettering at the bottom of the badge, regardless of the fact that it wasn't produced there (Holland and Danish Raleighs are an exception - they do have strikeouts in place of the text). I highly suggest in such cases to look the frame over for the traditional "Made In England" top-tube lettering; if not present, or another location of manufacture is indicated, one cannot go by ANY of the attributes given to the Nottingham machines, as the more intricate details of the tooling used in production (badges, fittings, etc.) may, or in most cases, WILL differ from the Nottingham tooling.

P.S.: I must have not been paying much attention when I posted that earlier - they are not stainless badges, rather, brass with a thin chrome (?) plating on them.

Originally Posted by Theflyingdutch
hi
here is a photo of the bike's badge
I really can tell no serial number on the back of the seat tube.. thanks
All right, that's one of the early '60s (and in the U.S., until '72 on the S-22) badges - chrome with brass underneath (what I screwed up and called "stainless" earlier). Pretty much sticks this machine anywhere from '61-2 into '72.

Can you now check the top of the seat LUG for a serial number?

-Kurt

P.S. #2: In response to your PM'ed question as to the price you paid, 150 Euro comes out to roughly $210/211 U.S.D. Quite frankly, here in the States, it would be considered a severe rip-off in its present state - no chainguard, fenders, and rusted-out rim sidewalls. I do not know the state of prices where you picked it up, although I find it odd that you would be charged more then in the States for a bicycle that I would have thought to be far more common on that side of the pond then here.

Last edited by cudak888; 10-09-07 at 08:30 AM.