View Single Post
Old 08-27-21, 08:22 PM
headwind15
Bikeable

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 73 Posts
I have been touring since '85, I just had A few thoughts: I highly suggest that you do a "pre-tour" before going over seas. I am about to shove off for Spain (hard to beat for a $500 round trip price), All tourists come up with a set up that works for them. I have heard/ met tourists with what I consider to be all sorts of crazy ideas over the years. From talking to a guy who was lugging a whole socket set with him. I mean really where on a bike does a bikes take sockets? Well, anyway he was convinced of it's importance. I always chuckle about the tourist who was planning to haul six or seven sets of cycling clothes, and was planning on finding a laundromat every seventh day, to do his laundry. I use to do 100 mile days and stop at fast food places mid day and do "sink washing" with yesterday's clothes and strap the stuff to the back of my bike. (it's amazing how fast stuff dries.) I live on the Southern Tier, so I have met my share of (strange) tourists. I once read about a guy in Spain, He had a keyed padlock. He stopped for lunch. He managed to loose the key. He ended up really stressed out about his missing key/ worried about getting his lock cut off, and then having to find another lock. At that time I felt so lucky that I take a combo cable lock, so I never have to go through anything like that. I noticed that you are putting all of your gear on the rear of your bike. There is a high chance that you will overload the back of your bike. I went touring in Colorado a month ago and even with some gear on the front, I broke several rear spokes, I hope you have better luck. I hope this helps (a little bit).
Likes For headwind15: