View Single Post
Old 01-30-23, 05:59 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4955 Post(s)
Liked 8,098 Times in 3,833 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
While I agree with what you’ve said, I’d like to point out that the disc crowd…especially the hydro crowd…act like the rest of us are riding spoon brakes. I have cable disc. I have cable rim…including the dreaded cantilever (The HORROR!). I’ve had hydraulics. I haven’t found any brake that works sooooooooo much better than the others that I would give up even my dreaded cantilever brakes. I’ve ridden in mountain bikes in wet/muddy conditions in mountains even on…GASP!!!…cantilevers!!! and never had a situation where the brakes failed to work. I simply don’t feel any real difference between them.

These discussions always devolve into the hydro crowd implying (or even outright stating) that we are going to DIE if we don’t immediately adopt their brake system. It’s useless hyperbole which is what I object to. And this is coming from someone with 40+ years of mountain biking, winter riding, loaded touring, loaded mountain bike touring, and tandem experience. And I’m not shy when gravity takes over.
I haven't seen that. Do you have any specific examples? Mostly, I see the anti-hydro folks complaining/campaigning that disc brakes are too complex, too heavy, too dangerous, or in some other way a waste of time, money, and/or effort. In response, hydro disc users generally respond with personal experiences related to why some/all of those things aren't true or aren't actually significant. Many hydro disc users (including myself) have multiple bikes with multiple types of brake systems, and acknowledge that non-hydro brakes (disc or rim) work adequately in most situations.