Old 06-15-21, 09:24 AM
mschwett 

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1278 Post(s)
Liked 1,392 Times in 710 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
fwiw

when I carry a full size slr, film or digital, w/ a mirror or w/o, skiiing, snowshoeing, hiking or biking I use a traditional slr holster type bag with a single strap slung over a shoulder. while riding a bike it easily swings around to my back & sits there just above my hips. while riding I can swing it around & if it's not fully zipped grab the camera 1-handed & take a snap. obviously stopping is easier & safer

I don't use such a camera while biking anymore cuz I have small sportcams. I've tried small flat digital cameras but they are usually disappointing due to having to wait while they turn on & their shutter lag. modern digital cameras, w/ manual controls, buried in menus, are frustrating. I still love physical exterior controls for aperture, shutter speed & manual/auto focus

if one has a camera & a bag, use what you have. but I fully support camera addiction & spending to excess, if you have the discretionary cash ;-)
that position sounds ideal to me, low on the back while riding, but i'd like to reach around and grab to shoot, thus the strap. i'd also like the camera to be permanently attached to the strap, so if i do have to grab the bars in a hurry with my second hand, it doesn't fall on the ground like my iPhone would in the current "setup."

my rate of camera gear acquisition has really slowed since the pandemic, the apex of digital camera innovation, taking up cycling, and instituting a one-in one-out policy for lenses. got rid of a lot of big exotics and other old stuff i didn't use often. down to one lens drawer and two accessory drawers lol.

Likes For mschwett: