Old 05-16-20, 03:18 PM
PoorInRichfield

Bikes: Trek Domane SL7 Disc, Cannondale F29

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 387 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 184 Posts
Balancing Your Wheels

Having grown-up with a father that was an automobile mechanic, I learned all about wheel balancing and the importance of doing it. While bicycles certainly don't obtain the same speeds are cars do, most bicycle wheels are quite off balance because of the valve stem only being on once side of the wheel. My brand new bike with carbon wheels has noticeable "wheel bounce" if I pick it up and give the rear wheel a good spin.

As such, I'm interested in balancing my wheels some day. The following video does a great job of showing why and how:

I'm interested in hearing from those of you that have already done this, particularly with a tubeless setup. The author of the video suggests using a two part epoxy on the waits if running tubeless which seems a little 'permanent' to me. Is there any alternative to epoxy for mounting the lead weigh inside the rim on a tubeless setup? Perhaps automotive grade double-sided tape?

Since my current wheels have a plastic rim strip to make them tubeless, I guess I could always replace the rim strip if I epoxy the weights to the strip and I no longer want the weights. I suppose that as long as I keep the same valve stem, perhaps there'd never be a reason to remove the weights? Thoughts?