View Single Post
Old 07-04-20, 08:27 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2735 Post(s)
Liked 969 Times in 792 Posts
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
I suspect it is possible to get it through surface transfer, but I am not very careful with door knobs, etc. But I do not go indoors anywhere other than my condo without a mask on, and I minimize how often I go indoors anywhere. But right now, my county in Wisconsin is the hottest hot spot of the state, so right now i am being extremely careful.
just wanted to mention that I see this just like developing the habit of being situational aware on our bikes, second guessing cars assuming they dont see us etc etc.
Because I've been in long term care facilities for years, using my elbows to open doors etc--in other words, always being aware of what I touch and right afterwards using wall mounted hand sanitizers etc to clean, is just part and parcel of having the responsibility of not transmitting something to a fragile person.
It becomes second nature after a while, and luckily I learned and developed this awareness years before all this covid thing.
Ive been caring after older and more fragile family members now all during this crisis, so the responsibility on my part is serious --BUT it has become less of a stress now simply because this has gone on for so long now. I do exactly the same as I did at the beginning when I go shopping etc, am hyper aware of distance to people who some of which did not read the memo and are clueless, but as a lifelong urban cyclist in busy cities and a tourer in sketchy situations, being hyper aware at all times is not stressful to me.

all this to say is that its worth being aware of what you touch etc. Dont touch door handles and then touch your face, or your phone, or whatever.
This is all about reducing risks, CONTROLLING risks as best as we can, just as we do riding bicycles amongst traffic.

I know this is different behaviour than what nearly everyone is used to, and not easy for folks who never have had to think like this before, but along with social distancing etc, this is the way to control the transmission of this thing, and to control the risks of getting it.
Likes For djb: