View Single Post
Old 11-29-20, 04:58 PM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,285 Times in 741 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Ok. Post #4 above mentioned the thing about rain. But maybe it's just new saddles? Old ones are ok? fwiw, the Brooks site says that a soaked saddle shouldn't be ridden for long as it will deform your saddle, hence the rain covers they sell.

Curious though, why wouldn't the underside of these saddles have some sort of laminated or polyurethanish type coating (ie. just a thin barrier for keeping out water that wouldn't impact the leather's moldability or flexibility)?
Usually the bottom of the saddle isn't too much of an issue, since most touring bikes have fenders. I throw a shower cap on it if it is really going to rain hard. If it is a light rain, and I am riding, I don't always worry about it. It takes all of two seconds to put the shower cap on the seat though. Mine has been thoroughly soaked though, when it was parked outside while commuting. It rains while I was working, and I didn't cover it that day. I road home but didn't sit hard on the saddle. I usually cover it I think it might rain.

I have the Brooks cover, but generally only use it if the bike is on the bike rack for a long trip.

For the care it requires, Proofide once in a while, I do it about once a year, when I think about it, and covering with a shower cap, it gives more back. It is a seat I can ride for 50-70 miles with zero discomfort, then get on again the next day and do it again, and again the next day, and the day after that, and so on.