View Single Post
Old 12-14-20, 09:47 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18376 Post(s)
Liked 4,511 Times in 3,353 Posts
Most western states don't have a posted minimum speed limit, and I don't see one listed on the Wikipedia Page for Nevada

HWY 95 is also a state highway, with a few direct access points, and not an interstate highway with controlled entrances and exits, so it may have different restrictions from an interstate highway.

Ok, I found this Nevada DOT page

Page 8/9, Section Q3.
Q3:Should a bicyclist ride in a Bicycle Lane or roadway shoulder if available?A: Yes. Bicyclists should always take advantage of opportunities to ride in the safest roadway position available. Most bicyclists will prefer to ride as far from passing traffic as possible even though there is no law that obligates a bicyclist to only use a shoulder or bicycle lane.

Every person operating a bicycle or an electric bicycle upon a roadway shall [ride as near to the right side of the roadway as practicable, exercising due care when passing a standing vehicle or one proceeding in the same direction.], EXCEPT:
(a)When traveling at a lawful rate of speed commensurate with the speed of any nearby traffic;
(b)When preparing to turn left; or
(c)When doing so would not be safe(NRS 484B.777)

Persons riding bicycles or electric bicycles upon a roadway shall not ride more than two abreast except on paths or parts of roadways set aside for the exclusive use of bicycles or electric bicycles.(NRS 484B.777
Page 22/23, Section Q25
Q25. May bicycles ride upon freeways and Interstate highways in Nevada?A. It depends. In most urban areas bicycles are prohibited on freeways and interstates due to large traffic volumes and complex traffic movements. Most urban areas offer safer alternatives for bicyclists on local roads. Due to Nevada’s rural nature outside of its cities, in many cases the freeways/interstates may provide the only access for bicycles. In these situations bicycling on freeways/interstates is allowed.

[followed by a list of urban restrictions that don't apply to this case]
So, they seem to encourage riding on shoulders, but it doesn't seem to be required. And there doesn't seem to be any minimum speeds. Farming may be different in Nevada than elsewhere, but there may be times when slow moving vehicles would be on the highways, although there do seem to be several dirt frontage roads.

Nevada is an "as far right as practicable" state, but it doesn't seem to require riding on a shoulder, and generally seems to allow 2 cyclists to ride side-by-side. So, 3 or 4 people sucking a bumper may not be legal.

So, as far as I can tell, riding in the right lane on a highway may well be legal, but it may not be prudent.

The legality of actually DRIVING on the shoulder seems to also be ambiguous. And, it would be a long drive down those rumble strips.

Like I said earlier, my Fiat 500 is about 4 feet wide, and would be very happy on that shoulder, but most other cars in the USA are closer to 6 to 6.5 feet wide, and would have significant issues with the drive (although the Smart and New 500 may be closer to 5 feet). One could straddle the rumbles, but it would still be a long drive. At least the old Fiat might discourage cyclists from sucking the exhaust