Old 02-02-21, 06:17 PM
mev
bicycle tourist

Bikes: Trek 520, Lightfoot Ranger, Trek 4500

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 476 Post(s)
Liked 264 Times in 178 Posts
For what it is worth, here is my journal for trying to follow the Lincoln Highway across Iowa and stopping at Cedar Rapids: http://www.mvermeulen.org/lincoln/index.php

The Lincoln Highway in parts turns into US 30 and in parts are smaller parallel roads. You can see comments like this one for July 8th - "Today some delightful cycling along the old Lincoln Highway. Also some rather obnoxious riding along US30." Not all of US-30 was awful but gravel shoulders and busy bits had me happy to follow Lincoln Highway signs when they pointed off the busiest parts.

Prior to departure I had read a fair amount about the Lincoln Highway. That was a while ago, but still remember (a) there was a competition between Lincoln Highway and early routes such as the Coast-to-Coast Highway, US-6 if I recall (b) there was a Lincoln Highway association that was promoting early paving of roads. Eventually that faded away as governments assumed more of that role - but then re-surged as a nostalgia organization (c) they often spliced together existing routes. In some places such as say the Platte River in Nebraska routes often converged to a more obvious routing e.g. follow the Platte. However, in Iowa it wasn't as obvious and hence there were four or five different parallel routes all crossing the state.

Last edited by mev; 02-02-21 at 06:24 PM. Reason: Fixed link in response to reply #11.