Old 03-19-21, 12:39 AM
AnthonyG

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3450 Post(s)
Liked 420 Times in 289 Posts
Originally Posted by Moisture
Resurrecting this thread.

I spent quite a lot of time riding on cranks between 19-20% of my inseam (165,170,175mm) , 88cm inseam;

It seemed fine to me at first, but they made me feel like I was always restricted to a specific cadence and power output. Forcing myself out of this comfort zone, as I did often; seeking better performance, began to slowly cause impingement in my right knee.

I finally pulled the trigger on 190mm driveline crank arms (21.6% of my inseam)

The first time I tried them, I knew this was something I should have invested into a very long time ago. The extra length in the arms gave me a perfect range of motion, really helped open up my knees and hips, etc. But the biggest difference really was the flexibility I now had under a broad variety of cadences, I found it much easier to maintain a higher cadence while pushing lower gears, which really helped me with adapting a cadence that can be altered on the fly depending on how you feel. I really don't find myself changing gears so often because I'm content with pushing high gears at a lazy cadence when you're not hammering it. The response to input.. when you do hammer it though..

I realized, that regardless what your inseam is, this is the sort of range of motion that feels super ideal in the world of cycling.
Well everyone to their own, yet I'm a short rider myself so I invoked 531Aussie on the matter because I knew that he was a tall rider and his experience was more relevant to the discussion.

Longer cranks can work for the very flexible but they make it hard for most people to get into a good aerodynamic position and hold it for an extended period of time. If your a professional team leader who always has a domestic to break the wind for them, or some freak that can get into an aero position when others can't, then good for you.