Old 07-14-21, 06:41 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7628 Post(s)
Liked 3,451 Times in 1,823 Posts
For one thing,. riders are probably not eager to discuss their gear in depth because they don't pick--or pay for--their gear. Pretty sure whoever makes the brakes on Israeli Startup's bikes doesn't want to hear Chris Froome dissing their stuff and promoting a competitor's product.

The announcers do mention when some riders use unusual set-ups--I have heard them discuss how some riders use very narrow bars and extreme angles on their brifters---but they cannot mention a lot of product names unless they mention All the products' names .... NBC doesn't need manufacturers complaining about not getting the same free advertising some of their competitors got.

A lot of it is also what @slcbob mentions:
Originally Posted by slcbob
Ultimately, the real gear heads who would want more are not the target audience and they'd still be dissatisfied with anything that the rest of us could tolerate.
I'd like to see every bike broken down,; I'd like to know what gearing the riders use, what unusual set-up tips or tricks each might use .... I'd bet some folks want to know a lot more. And I imagine most people want to know who is winning.

One final thing--as far as I know, pretty much all the bikes are built to the same standards. Because weight isn't really a "limit" (as I understand it, manufacturers can easily build well below the UCI limit) and because basically bikes are simple, there really isn't any huge advantage or disadvantage for any specific bike or component. It's not like a rider on a Trek will be faster than the same rider on a Giant, or that the guy using Campagnolo would be faster than if he used Shimano. It's not like say, GT auto racing where Porsche and Ferrari fight Lamborghini and BMW. The Pinarello and the Willier are almost exactly the same, functionally, as each other, and as the De Rosa and the Giant and the whatever. And manufacturers don't want that news to be widely publicized.